Friday, November 1, 2013

Is Zubuchon Cebu's best lechon?

Food critic and celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain called it "The best pig EVER!"
That statement alone put Zubuchon on the world map and on top of my foodie list.

In case you live in a cave, lechon is spit-roasted pig. Even cavemen agree that when you roast pig, it should be over charcoal. Zubuchon's stuff is cooked traditionally and they use lemongrass, sea salt and other yummy ingredients to make your tummy squeal in delight.


We went to the Zubuchon branch at Mango Mall, Mango Avenue. Its very easy to find just spot the red pig and you're there.

talk about geting rear-ended
Here's what we ordered

Kamias Shake - order this to "offset the oiliness" of the food here

Zubuchon lechon - look at the glaze of the skin!

Binakol - Tinola in Buko

Pancit with Lechon

I can't recall if this is Paksiw or Bistek

Cucumber Salad with Salted Egg

Zubuchon Sisig not that spectacular with all that sebo

Well I enjoyed my experience here at Zubuchon, the lechon skin is crunchy, the meat is tender but there's one thing I didn't like - they oven-baked the lechon making it oily. That is why you should have the Kamias shake to offset all that oil. The Zubuchon pansit (220) is very good, too because its saucy and has lechon skin but some of the food were forgettable like the Zubuchon Sisig it was too oily, and to quote my friend Ricci Chan, Oiliness is poverty. The Binakol is good, too. This one's a Bicolano dish and I was surprised it made it to their menu, we also ordered the sinigang, not in pic.

To recap, Zubuchon rates 50-50 for me. I don't know if its just this branch, but I didn't notice other lechon places like CNT or even Lydia's reheating their lechon in an oven. It kinda destroy the flavor of the pork. But the skin is very, very crunchy. Maybe we should've eaten here during lunchtime? Maybe its just me. Sorry, Anthony.

Spoon rating
2 spoons

Rating
Zero Spoons - Not coming back
One Spoon - Something's wrong here
Two Spoons - Average Joe
Three Spoons - Good but can do better
Four Spoons - Yummy, la
Five Spoons - Where have you been all my life?
Don't agree? Let your voices be heard. Comment below.

No comments: